I’ve collected the information I could about open drawing groups in the Greater Somerville area. If you organize a drawing group open to the public, drop me a line and I’ll include your group here. I have no personal connection with any of these groups, though I have very much enjoyed drawing with a couple of them over the years.
Greater Somerville Area Open Drawing Sessions
- 1-4 PM Rocco Ricci’s studio, Allston
- 4-7 PM Creative Union, Somerville (Every other Sun., starting Feb. 6, 2011: 1st & 3rd Sun. thru May)
- 7-9:30 PM Malden Sketch Group, Malden (1st Mondays, long pose)
- 6-9 PM Museum of Fine Arts, Boston
- 7-10 PM Boston Figurative Arts Center, Somerville
- 7-9:30 PM Rocci Ricci’s studio, Allston
- 7-9:30 PM Malden Sketch Group, Malden (portrait session)
- 7-10 PM Out of the Blue Gallery, Cambridge
- 1-4 PM Boston Figurative Arts Center, Somerville
Malden Sketch Group
Oak Grove Community Building at 6 Grove Street, Malden
$6/ session. The area’s longest running continuous life-drawing group. Chairs available.
Rocco Ricci Studio
119 Braintree Street, Allston unit #306
$20/ session. Easels and tables available. There is music and natural light in the day. Near the T and free parking.
Boston Figure Center
6 Vernon St., Somerville 2nd fl.
$25/ session for non-member drop-in; $10/ session for members. (Membership $50/month.) Two Hour on-street parking in front of building on Vernon Street, and off-street parking on the ramp around back for those coming for 3-hour sessions.
Museum of Fine Arts
465 Huntington Avenue, Boston
Free with museum admission. Drawing stools available.
Out of the Blue Gallery
106 Prospect St., Cambridge
Creative Union @ It’s a Gift Gallery
29A Union Square, Somerville
$5 donation on sessions w/ still-life, $8 on evenings w/ models (check website for weekly updates). Easels and drawing boards available.